Friday, November 15, 2013

Beware of the Goblins

Goblins are scary. I have seen the movies, I know you should steer clear of the creatures. Well, at least the living ones. Goblins that have been magically turned to stone, however, I highly recommend visiting. The fantastical valley of the Goblins in southern Utah is a magical place. Walking among the stone formations leaves you questioning whether or not your still on earth, and if you have seen the movie Galaxy Quest, you are convinced. This other-worldly feel was what I hoped to capture in form and in color.


Human scale is one of Goblin Valley's charms. So many of Utah's landscapes exhibit monolithic formations of gargantuan proportions. You can also imagine from this picture that the spectator could be having a conversation with the creatures she is facing.


I liked this view of the valley from behind. Surrounded by the towers of stone, one feels isolated from an expected environment. I wonder if she is thirsty out there.

Wait this isn't Goblin Valley! Talk about an expected environment. I needed a figure for my final piece, so I grabbed a missionary on the street to pose for me. Perhaps he has a future as a model!

Below, I have included a study of the Goblins, and the final rendering of the poster:



Next time: Beauty at the Breaks

No comments:

Post a Comment