Friday, October 11, 2013


Monumental Scouting

I can't remember the exact year. 1984 or 1985 I think. I do remember being in the back of a 1970s station wagon, brownish, facing backward in the fold up seat; the kind where you can pull faces at the car behind you. Our scout troop got up before the sun and drove from Riverton, Utah to Bullfrog Marine on Lake Powell. I still remember how sore my bony backside was after taking the two hour trip to Rainbow Bridge in a tri-hull boat. (I much prefer the lack of jolting in a v-hull!) The natural wonder was none-the-less amazing. That was the first time and unfortunately the last time I saw the monument.

Still inspired by the sight, Rainbow Bridge is the subject of my next project. Below is the first of several studies I drew of the bridge as seen from near the boat dock:

I scouted out an older boat that I loosely used as reference:

(Notice the boat is a v-hull, no sore butts for my poster!)

My neighbors agreed to pose as boaters, which looked a little strange to those passing by in cars, however, I think they did a great job modelling the back of their heads for me.



I also used quite a stack of pictures from the internet for the bridge itself, but choose not to violate any laws by reposting them. So here it is, the final rendering of Rainbow Bridge:

Tune in next time for "Glacial Grandeur."

No comments:

Post a Comment